Wednesday, April 7, 2010

More Cooking Ventures... Herb Roasted Chicken w/ Zuccini/Squash Medley

I tend to get bored cooking really easily - at least when I'm cooking the same thing over and over again.  Other than my go-to items like spaghetti, I try to find variations on a regular basis.  I found this recipe on one of my favorite cooking blogs - The Pioneer Woman

Other than Thanksgiving or Christmas, I don't usually stuff whole birds with anything.  But this came out really well and I'll have to remember this trick (I say trick like it's a new thing but really, it's not new - I've just never done it).

From this:
 To this:

A very healthy plate if I do say so myself!  I didn't eat the skin but it does add nice color to the plate.  The zuccini/squash medley is compliments of my  mother.  For some reason, I use to not like this (probably because of the onions - good thing I'm over that now!).

Zuccini/Squash Medley
1 zuccini
1 squash
1/2 onion (or more depending on preference)
8 mushrooms sliced (or more)
1 can of diced tomatoes (with Italian herbs)
3 T of Olive Oil
1 T minced garlic

Heat oil in a large saute pan on med-high.  Once heated, add onions & garlic for about 2 min.  Turn heat down to medium and cook until onions start to look translucent (about 2-3 mins) and add zucchini, squash, mushrooms.  Stir to get all ingredients coated with the olive oil goodness.  Add diced tomatoes (including juice).  Stir & lower heat to med-low.  Cover and let simmer for 15-20 mins, stirring occasionally.

Below are some pictures from around the apartment complex...Spring is fighting to show its head in between the rain showers and gusty winds!

No comments:

Post a Comment